3.18.2012

Theo and Philo Artisan Chocolates

While writing this post, I'm munching on Theo and Philo's 70% Dark Chocolate. I waited for about a year before I finally got my hands on this 100%-Philippine-made chocolate brand. What got me curious at first was that the main ingredient of Theo and Philo Chocolates are sourced from Davao but I never saw a single establishment that carry this product in my hometown, Davao City.

I'd have to say that this brand is elusive. Theo and Philo chocolates are not widely available in the market. These chocolates are carried only by select establishments and if you're lucky, you can also find them at bazaars. They rarely reply to their email and facebook page but I'm so glad that they are very accommodating through sms.


After a year of lost opportunities and unsuccessful attempts at buying these chocolates, heaven has finally brought me to the Echo Store in Serendra. I could finally buy my Theo and Philo Chocolates!


At the price of P95.00 for each bar of chocolate, I was a little disappointed that it was a small chocolate bar. I don't know the usual price for chocolates because I'm always at the receiving end. Hahaha! But I couldn't let this opportunity pass, and I'm buying  my country's own product so why shouldn't I spend less than P100 for a chocolate bar when I know that I'm patronizing my country's product?

Theo and Philo Chocolates carry the weirdest chocolate flavors: Milk Chocolate with Green Mango and Salt; Dark Chocolate with Calamansi; Dark Chocolate with Siling Labuyo. I bought the mentioned variants along with the plain 70% Dark Chocolate.


I was told that the Green Mango and Salt was the best seller among the Theo and Philo Artisan Chocolate flavors. So I bought two of this and ate them first. I remember the chocolate bar from Felix, that chocolate had a salty flavor to it and it was kinda good, the saltiness has offset the sweet chocolate taste. I was excited to compare how Theo and Philo's Green Mango and Salt would fair among the lots of chocolates that I've tasted.


And so, the taste test has begun. Theo and Philo's Green Mango and Salt chocolate bar has green mango bits and specks of salt. These green mango and salt bits did not affect the flavor of the chocolate that much but you can definitely taste the sweet-sour-salty combination. The flavor was subtle and it was an enjoyable experience munching on some chocolates that is truly Pinoy!  

Have you tried Theo and Philo Chocolates? 

26 comments:

  1. I am a certified chocoholic  and this is making my mouth water. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. the packaging of the chocolate looks so wow :>

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those chocolates! Super sarap yung salted green mango and yung may sili labuyo.  Sayang I don;t know san na nakakabili sa world trade ko sila nabilhan before eh.  

    ReplyDelete
  4. hala asa ni mapalit? na intriga lagi ko ani. naa ni Cebu Sweet kay mg papalit ug padala dubai. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep hearing abou this chocolate. Soon, matry ko rin yan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's mostly in Manila. Naay pud dumaguete and aklan. check http://www.theoandphilo.com/buy.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7.  i want to try these
     

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing. i would definitely buy this if and when i visit serendra. the variants kinda intrigue me.  i wonder how they taste like...

    ReplyDelete
  9. this post is for me! wow, much-awaited Pinoy brand of chocolates!!! i will definitely try it and will head to Serendra very soon.  yay, so my dream of visiting a chocolate factory might be fulfilled -maybe in Davao hehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will certainly grab this piece! Tempting eh :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. not yet! im into dark chocolates lately too (bec of health benefits)...i'll try this one too...

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh I heard about this chocolates but haven't tried one. The flavors are really weird. Haha! 

    ReplyDelete
  13. never tried this chocolate brand .I love the spicy choco and mango though .worth  trying talaag.

    ReplyDelete
  14. di ko pa natry ang brand na to..but that must be one good choco.. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, they're at the ECHO store here in Serendra! I HAVE TO TRY THEM OUT! XD Thank you for this info

    ReplyDelete
  16. travelonashoestringJuly 18, 2012 at 10:00 AM

     This is the second time that I've read about Theo and Philo Chocolates. I hope somebody send me some so I can taste them as well. Ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello mheanne! I think that the chocolate factory of Theo and Philo is located in Binondo, Manila. Although the cacao beans are sourced from Davao, all the other ingredients such as sugar are sourced from a different province also here in the Philippines and they are all mixed up together and processed in Binondo.

    you may read the news article here: http://www.entreprenews.com.ph/inside.php?url_link=1298995200&id=39&article_type=section

    ReplyDelete
  18. they taste weird, but in a good way.

    i had my 65% dark chocolate with siling labuyo this morning. it definitely perked up my morning! =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Chocolates! I am actually into chocolate binge eating! wanna try these Theo & Philo chocolates too !

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW!!! I must try this chocolate!! Thanks for sharing! :P

    ReplyDelete
  21. You can buy at Echo Store in Serendra. Or you can text them to inquire on the nearest Theo and Philo distributor in your area. =

    ReplyDelete
  22. THOSE CHOCOLATES LOOKS YUMMY! Gimme some! Chocolate addict here:D

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've always wanted to try these chocolates! :D Will definitely drop by a store carrying Theo and Philo!

    ReplyDelete
  24. too bad it's not in G-Mall. They're available in mostly in Manila stores. Btw, this brand is also carried by Human Heart Nature's flagship store in Quezon City. There might be a possibility that our local HHN Distribution Center here in Davao would also carry these goodies in the near future. =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm no sweet tooth and if I go for chocolates it has to be something nutty. But I suddenly got curious of Theo and Philo. You think G-Mall would possibly have them?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Nancy! These chocolates are currently available at the Human Heart Nature Davao City Distribution Center at Plaza del Carmen, Loyola St., Obrero, Davao City. =)

    ReplyDelete

Do you like this post? Share your thoughts!

(--,)